The Early Intervention Team (EIT) works with Bexley schools supporting children aged 3 to 18 who need extra help to thrive and progress in school.
The team’s role is to provide additional support to referred children who have Special Educational Needs (SEN) or Additional Educational Needs (AEN), and advice and training to school staff.
The team is staffed by the following specialists:
- Team managers
- Educational Psychologists(EPs)
- Social Emotional Mental Health ( SEMH) Support Teachers
- Social Emotional Mental Health (SEMH) Support Assistant
- AEN/SEN Partner
- SEN Strategic Support Partners
- Social Workers
Certain staff are bought in by schools and so may not be available to some schools or academies.
The EIT support schools with the following:
- children who are failing to thrive or make progress in school because of issues with special educational needs, or social emotional difficulties
- children whose lack of progress at school stems from a number of different factors that should be addressed in a co-ordinated way
- deal with issues as soon as possible, to prevent more serious problems developing
- help schools and teaching staff with problem-solving
- at times working with parents and carers
- provide specialist guidance and support where this is needed which will, at times, include training for school staff
As well as supporting children and families in terms of early intervention, team members will also:
- support the Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) process for individual children and young people
- support the work with children at risk of exclusion
- Support pre-school children with complex needs through the educational psychology service