The Advisory Service for Vision Impairment works with children and young people aged 0 – 18.
We offer advice, support and practical help to families, schools and children throughout Bexley.
• Explain the child’s diagnosis and answer questions arising from this.
• Carry out visual assessments to see how a pupil is using their vision in school and provide reports.
• Provide equipment as needed for pupils without a statement.
• Provide reports for statutory assessment.
• Monitor pupils at agreed intervals to assess the effectiveness of any interventions and to provide advice and support as needed.
• Provide training and support to staff in nurseries, schools and voluntary groups on issues around vision impairment. We use SIMSPECS which mimic different eye conditions.
• Provide vision impairment awareness raising lessons for classes in school, primary and secondary.
• Provide Braille teaching where a pupil is not in a VI resourced provision.
• Arrange for children to receive mobility training by referral to a mobility specialist teacher.